Dairy Farmers of America will continue partnering with the Sprint Accelerator through 2019. The Accelerator, located in the Crossroads Arts District of Kansas City, is an innovative, 90-day program that helps accelerate and grow startup businesses. For the 2019 program, DFA will again sponsor both the ag tech and dairy food product segments.
“DFA is committed to helping support and grow the dairy industry, and this program allows us to really keep a finger on the pulse of new technologies and innovation for both our farmers and the industry at large,” says Kevin Strathman, senior vice president of finance at DFA. “It’s also been really inspiring to help foster and mentor these entrepreneurs, and we’ve found that we learn as much from them as they do from us.”
DFA’s sponsorship announcement for the 2019 program was made at the 2018 Accelerator Program Demonstration Day held in Kansas City, where CEOs from the participating startups presented their ideas.
The Ag Tech and Dairy Food Product companies participating in the 2018 Demo Day presentations:
- Pharm Robotics from San Jacinto, Calif. Pharm Robotics is developing robotic systems to automate the administration of animal health products in dairy cows.
- Ripe Technologies from San Francisco, Calif. Ripe is transforming the food supply chain using blockchain technology to enable data transparency, so we know where our food is from and what has happened to it.
- SomaDetect from Fredericton, Canada. SomaDetect is a precision-dairy company creating an in-line system for measuring every compound of interest in raw milk, including fat, protein, somatic cells, progesterone and trace antibiotics.
- Cheddies from San Antonio, Texas. Cheddies aims to provide all consumers with a cheese cracker that has added nutritional benefits. These benefits include 10 grams of protein, 12 grams of carbohydrates, no artificial flavors or colors and 0 grams of sugar.
- MoPro Nutrition from Birmingham, Mich. MoPro is the first Greek yogurt infused with CFM Whey Protein Isolate that contains 24 grams of protein per serving and is low in sugar.
- Too Cool Chix from New York, N.Y. Too Cool Chix creates delicious, all-natural ice cream sandwiches free of artificial ingredients and stabilizing gums.
"The collaboration, mentorship and idea-sharing from DFA, Sprint and the other startup companies has been invaluable,” says Dr. Bethany Deshpande, Founder and CEO at SomaDetect. “Their support has absolutely helped our business, and I feel incredibly thankful for how committed everyone was in helping us grow our business, especially DFA. I would highly recommend the Accelerator as we’ve gained tremendous traction in such a short time and taken our business to the next level.”