More than 100 nominations are expected to make the list for the 8 wonders of Kansas History, the latest in the "wonders" competition sponsored by the Kansas Sampler Foundation.
Some of those nominated will not be eligible because they were of the 24 finalists in a previous contest or because the fit better into another category.
People who need more information can contact Marci Penner at 5620-585-2374 or at [email protected].
Some great pieces of Kansas history have not yet been nominated. You don't have to live there to nominate it.
The top 24 will be announced April 22.
NOMINATIONS TO DATE INCLUDE:
- Battle Canyon, 1878, Scott Co.
- Blue Rapids Baseball Field, Blue Rapids
- Boot Hill Museum, Dodge City
- Buffalo Bill site, Oakley
- City of Council Grove History Tour
- Constitution Hall, Lecompton
- Kansas Cosmosphere, Hutchinson
- Crispin's Drug Store Museum, Lincoln
- Dodge City's Front Street, Longbranch Saloon, Boot Hill
- Donald R. "Cannonball" Green/Cannonball Stageline Highway
- El Quartelejo Ruins, Scott Co.
- Fort Harker, Kanopolis
- Fort Wallace Museum & cemetery, Wallace
- Garden of Eden, Lucas
- Ghost Riders of the Chisholm Trail Silhouettes, Caldwell
- Globe Refiners Gold Medal Olympic Basketball Team, McPherson
- Highland Community College, Highland
- Historic Fort Riley
- Kanopolis Lake Legacy trail self-guided auto tour
- Kansas Sate Capitol
- Lansing correctional Facility/Kansas State Penitentiary
- Memorial Peace park "Treaty of 1867", Medicine Lodge
- Naismith Arrives in Lawrence 1898
- Natural Gas Discovery, Paola
- Nicodemus & Nicodemus National Historic Site
- Old Cowtown Museum, Wichita
- Orpheum Performing Arts Centre, Wichita
- Otoe Indian Burial Ground
- Pawnee Indian Museum State Historic Site
- Pikes Trail Marker, Ottawa County
- Post Rock
- Santa Fe Trail Rut Site, Howell
- Sedgwick County Old Court House, Wichita
- Smoky Valley Roller Mill, Lindsborg
- Spring Creek Car Museum, Wetmore
- St. John Science Museum
- Sternberg Museum, Hays
- The Amazon Army, Pittsburg
- The Blackjack Battlefield, Baldwin City
- The Cherokee Strip Land Rush Museum, Arkansas City
- County seat war of Wichita County, Leoti
- Dalton Gang Hideout, Meade
- Perkins Building, Coffeyville
- Salter Museum, Argonia
- Santa Fe Trail
- Topeka Santa Fe Shops
- University of Kansas Natural History Museum, Lawrence
- Waconda Springs Replica at Wacond Lake
- Whole Wall Mural, Concordia
- Windsor Hotel, Garden City