Department of Agriculture Becomes DriftWatch Partner

Department of Agriculture Becomes DriftWatch Partner

Kansas Department of Agriculture partners with Online service allows growers of sensitive crops to register location; applicators to take extra care.

The Kansas Department of Agriculture has become a partner state in DriftWatch Inc., an online service that provides a place for producers of pesticide-sensitive specialty crops to map their crop locations.

Pesticide applicators can use the website to find sensitive-crop locations. The idea is to help them use the registry to learn areas where such crops are grown and take extra care to protect them from the drift of sprays that might damage them.

Growers of sensitive or organic crops can register their sensitive crops grown in Kansas, at

Pesticide applicators can use the DriftWatch website to find sensitive-crop locations, with the goal of helping them take extra care to protect sensitive crops from the drift of sprays that might damage them.

If you suspect that a pesticide has been misused, including herbicide drift, report it to the Department of Agriculture immediately to 785-296-4179, or 785-296-3786.

Growers and pesticide applicators can learn more about how to use the DriftWatch Inc. site during Webinar that is planned for later this spring. If you would like to be part of the webinar, call Annarose Hart at 785-296-0362 for instructions on how to register.

Criteria for listing a sensitive crop on the web site include:
The crop is grown for commercial purposes and represents a legitimate source of income for the grower

The crop is known for its propensity to be economically damaged by herbicides that volatilize readily

If it is an organic crop, it must be produced under an organic certification program

The producer requests that we publicize the location on the website

All approved crop sites appear on the DriftWatch registry map and is submitted directly to partner applicators. Farmers are responsible for keeping their information current and for removing a site that no longer meets these criteria.

Registered DriftWatch Producers can purchase official 'No Drift Zone' signs to be posted in their fields. Order instructions will be sent once your specialty crop site is approved by the state data steward.

Also, 'Sensitive Crop Grown Here' signs to post around your sensitive crop fields can be purchased through the K-State Research and Extension bookstore for $21.10 per sign.

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.